The United States' Secretary of State on Tuesday threatened to increase pressure on Iran following a meeting with his Jordanian counterpart in the Arab country's capital, Amman.
Mike Pompeo explained that the withdrawal of US troops deployed in Syria did not mean Washington had given up on fighting the Islamic State terror organization or confronting Iran's growing influence in the region.
"The president's decision to withdraw our folks from Syria in no way impacts our capacity to deliver on (pushing back against Iran)," Pompeo said in a joint press conference with Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi.
"You will see in the coming days and weeks that we are doubling not only our diplomatic, but our commercial, efforts to put real pressure on Iran to achieve what it is we set out for them back in May," said the American secretary of state.
Earlier in the day, Pompeo tweeted that the United States would continue its campaign against the IS despite the US troop withdrawal decision taken in December.
"Our tactics have changed, not the mission!" he wrote.
Safadi, meanwhile, explained that while Arab countries have real issues with Iran's expansionist policies in the region, they nonetheless aspire toward relations with Tehran that are based on non-intervention in internal affairs and mutual respect for Iran's and Arab nations' sovereignty.
Pompeo's visit to Amman is the first stop on an 8-day Mideast tour that also includes; Egypt, Qatar, Oman, Kuwait, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.