Mexican filmmakers Alfonso Cuarón and Guillermo del Toro criticized on Tuesday the decision of the Hollywood Academy to hand out some Oscar prizes during the advertising breaks of the televised ceremony.
The institution that organizes the Oscars every year said on Monday that the statuettes of photography, editing, short film (live action), and makeup and hairdressing will be announced during the commercials so that the broadcast of the ceremony does not last more than three hours.
The speeches of the winners will be edited and will be broadcast in deferred during the gala, which television rights the ABC network has.
The Academy also clarified that these four categories can be followed live through the broadcast by streaming.
This novelty caused a stir among some figures of the film industry such as Alfonso Cuarón, whose film "Roma" is the favorite for the Oscars with ten nominations.
"In the history of cinema there have been masterpieces without sound, without color, without history, without actors and without music, there has not been any film without photography and without film editing", he wrote today on his Twitter account.
His compatriot Guillermo del Toro, who triumphed last year in the great film gala with "The Shape of Water" (2017), also showed his rejection of this decision of the Academy.
"I would not dare to suggest what categories to cut from the Oscars, but photography and film editing are at the heart of our art, they are not inheritances of a theatrical or literary tradition: they are the cinema itself", he said on Twitter on Monday.
This message was later erased from his profile, where Del Toro published three new tweets today, stating that the Academy guaranteed that the four prizes will be delivered in the theater, that thes speeches of the winners will be broadcasted after being edited, and that, from now ahead, there will be a rotation to see which awards will not be seen live on television every year.
Filmmakers Patty Jenkins and Jason Reitman, cinematographers Steve Yedlin and Reed Morano, interpreters Seth Rogen and Jennifer Beals, and screenwriters Bryan Woods and Scott Beck also showed their discontent on social media.
The 91st edition of the Oscars will be held on February 24 at the Dolby Theater in Los Angeles without a presenter after the resignation of comedian Kevin Hart, who was to be the master of ceremonies of the gala.