Header

 

More than 2.7 million Panamanians will be able to vote in the May elections

  • |
  • Mon, 02/04/2019 - 14:45
More than 2.7 million Panamanians will be able to vote in the May elections
  • @tepanama

The Electoral Tribunal published on Monday the final electoral roll for the general elections of May 2019, in which more than 2.7 million Panamanians are called to renew a thousand positions of popular election.

The electoral body indicated in a press conference that 50.2% of the 2,757,823 people eligible to vote on May 5 are women and the remaining 49.8% are men, and said that 56,062 young people will vote for the first time.

Of the total number of voters, 1.3 million are affiliated with a political party and 7,674 are Panamanian residents abroad, according to the court.

The final electoral roll is slightly higher than the preliminary figures published by the electoral body last year, which totaled 2,713,698 voters.

On May 5, 2019, Panama will hold general elections and renew the 1,721 positions of popular election, between principals and alternates.

Of the main positions will be elected 71 deputies of the National Assembly, 20 deputies of the Central American Parliament (Parlacen), 81 mayors, 679 representatives of corregimiento and 9 councilors.

The main political parties elected their candidates during the second semester of last year in the primaries won by Laurentino "Nito" Cortizo in the Partido Revolucionario Democrático (PRD), Romulo Rux in Cambio Democrático (CD), José Blandón in the Partido Panameñista (PPa) and Saúl Méndez in the leftist Frente Amplio por la Democracia (FAD).

Ex-General Attorney Ana Matilde Gómez, former deputy Marco Ameglio and attorney Ricardo Lombana are the independent candidates who collected the largest number of signatures among citizens, although their final candidacies will not be formalized until a few days after to solve several complaints from other aspirants without party.

The presidential elections of 2014 were won against all odds by the Partido Panameñista, while the two political forces with the most deputies in the Panamanian Parliament are the PRD (26) and CD (24).

Source-EFE

Recommended for You