Header

 

Panama destroys almost 7 tons of drugs seized this year

  • |
  • Fri, 10/19/2018 - 22:07
Drogas
  • EFE

National Police said the incineration was done at the city dump of La Chorrera, a commuter town on the other side of the Panama Canal, adding that 72 percent of the destroyed drugs were cocaine, while the other 28 percent was made up of a variety of narcotics.

"In recent weeks security forces have dealt some surefire blows to drug trafficking. Just to give you an example, today we destroyed 5.8 tons of drugs confiscated in a series of operations," said Manuel Bonome, deputy director of Judicial Investigation for the National Police.

The Panamanian govenrment recently launched two extensive operations to combat drug trafficking by land, sea and air, and which are focused on some 50 vulnerable communities around the country. Colombia, Costa Rica and the United States are helping with those anti-drug campaigns.

Panamanian President Juan Carlos Varela said during the launch of the operations that over the past four years cocaine production in Colombia has quadrupled, and has gone from 50,000 hectares (124,000 acres) to more than 200,000 (490,000).

Last year Panama confiscated at least 84.6 tons of drugs, mostly cocaine, a record amount according to official records

Source-EFE

Recommended for You